Guidelines for testing: Body Protected and Cardiac Protected Areas (AS3003:2011)
All electrical installations in a hospital, day surgery, medical or dental practice were medical procedures are performed, should have the patient areas independently tested to AS3003:2011.
Australian Standards sets out requirements for new electrical installations and for alterations, additions and repairs of existing electrical installations in patient areas. U-Tech Medical supports this Standard as can provide assistance and guidance to adopt the best testing requirements to suit your specific patient treatment areas.
How we can help?
- We can review your patient treatment, test the equipotential earthing, test the 10 millamp medical grade RCD’s and Line Isolation Monitors. (LIM’s)
- We can advise on what items need to be modified, repaired or replaced to comply with the standards.
- We can consult with your electrical installer if changes need to be made.
- With our calibrated test equipment we can provide a report indicating compliance with this standard.
- Lung Simulators
- We can advise on the condition of your RCD’s and LIM’s and make recommendation on their performance so you can plan a replacement program before they are likely to fail.
Frequently asked questions and answers
Q. How often does my patient treatment area need to be tested?
A. The routine testing should be carried out annually.
Q. What are the main tests performed?
A. This will depend on the specific area, however all tests include, Electrical Earthing, RCD and or LIM testing, plus the number of socket outlets, marking of outlets, classification of areas and signage.
Q. What happens if any of the tests fails?
A. U-Tech Medical will advise the corrective action and the cost if repair is needed for compliance.
Q. Do I need to purchase a copy of the Australia Standards?
A. This is not required, however if you prefer to keep a copy, it is available on-line at: http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/ and type “AS/NZS 3003” in the search window.
Q. How do I select the best biomedical service company for my equipment management plan?
A. There are a number of factors to consider when choosing the correct service company. U-Tech Medical has developed a “Service Provider Evaluation Checklist” which can be downloaded from our homepage or the top of this page or simply ask one our customer service team members on 1300 4 UTECH, (1300 488324) to send you the report.